This post is inspired by my friend Angie's new blog. I think her new blog is a fabulous idea, and already I've gotten some great tips. She invited anyone that wanted to to become a contributor on the site. Sadly, as previously discussed here, I am not at all crafty and/or domestic. So I just read the blog for great ideas.
Anyway, when I was a newlywed in our first ward in Castle Dale I got this cute little booklet from the Relief Society. It contains the greatest household tips! The following are MY type of household tips:
HOW TO HAVE A CLEAN HOUSE
If your family has never noticed your resemblance to the "White Tornado" when it comes to cleaning and if your cleaning ranks up there with squishing the green worms in the tomato vines, these methods may be ones you'll want to adopt:
1. Don't have children.
2. Hire help.
3. Choose friends whose homes are worse than yours.
4. Pick a spouse who finds joy in making things shine.
5. Keep the shades and drapes pulled and the lights low.
Another great tip:
Always keep your vacuum cleaner near the front door. If someone comes to your home unexpectedly, it gives the impression that you either just finished vacuuming, or you were just about to vacuum.
The booklet actually has some really great practical tips. Too bad I've only looked at it a few times in the past 14 years(and tried even fewer)! Here are a few:
When you have forgotten to take the butter out of the fridge for a recipe, shred it like a carrot. The pieces will be soft enough to use.
For smells in the garbage disposal, grind half a lemon, orange, or grapefruit in it.
Vinegar will remove ink stains very easily.
If your dress is clinging to your slip, wear the slip wrong side out.
If you eat soup with a plastic spoon, it will cool faster. Metal spoons retain the heat.
For dull scissors: Cut a piece of sandpaper into strips. You'll have sharp scissors.
An out-of-season blanket takes up no valuable storage space if you fold it flat and lay it smoothly between the mattress and box springs.
Shake a little talcum powder or cornstarch on knotted cords or shoelaces and knot pull apart rather easily.
To clean the garbage disposal, but 1/2 cup vinegar in an ice cube tray, fill the tray with water and freeze. Grind the vinegar cubes down the disposal once a week. The ice cubes sharpen the blades and the vinegar cleans and freshens the disposal.
For rusting knives: Stick them through an onion for 1/2 hr then wash and polish. Wipe them with a light coating of vegetable oil to keep the rust from coming back.
Maybe after reviewing all of these tips I'll feel inspired to clean today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Those tips DO put me in somewhat of a cleaning mood...we'll see how that materializes as the day goes on. Maybe I will start keeping my vacuum by the front door, although when people come by they will think, "How is she going to vacuum with all those toys on the floor?"
You were just about to tackle that project, as evidenced by the vacuum that is in plain view. See how that works?
I'm not in a cleaning mood today or any other day, but I'm doing it anyway. Soon. After I make my internet rounds.
I Love love love too clean where the heck did i come from. I just stayed up for hours monday night and got it all done (with some help form the kids/Brileigh she is a little like me) laundry and all. To my surprize when i got home this morning at 2 am i could not even put Ky in his room it was a disaster. I get pleasure out of clean things if only it would stay that way for longer than a day.
Post a Comment